EVENT: Peruvian Documentaries on Social Protest and Mining / Bibliography
This Wednesday we are screening Choropampa: The Price of Gold. Directors: Ernesto Cabellos and Stephanie Boyd. The Bibliography below can help us understand the spilling of mercury and the current state of affairs in Choropampa, Cajamarca.
- The Economist, Halting the rush against gold.
- El Comercio, Tras 11 años del derrame de mercurio. Los síntomas persisten en Cajamarca
- Blair Gifford & Andrew Kestler. Toward a theory of local legitimacy by MNEs in developing nations: Newmont mining and health sustainable development in Peru
We will have professor Gerardo Rénique in the panel discussing the social implications of mining in Peru. Here some texts by professor Rénique about social conflict.
- Gerardo Rénique, Law of the Jungle in Peru: Indigenous Amazonian Uprising against Neoliberalism
- George Katsiaficas & Gerardo Renique, A New Stage of Insurgencies: Latin American Popular Movements, the Gwangju Uprising, and the Occupy Movement